Basil Mint Julep
Tailgate times are here and while beer and whiskey may be staples, stepping up your pre-game with fresh cocktails and drinks never hurt anyone. Ok, if not for yourself, do it for the ladies.
We’ve picked up some ideas from the folks at Growing Basil Info for some fresh twists on classic drinks, starting with a Basil Julep Cocktail that can quickly be made at your tailgate.
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon basil simple syrup
- Crushed ice
- 1 oz of bourbon (you need a quality spirit here, so don’t you dare skimp)
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- powdered sugar (optional, though I don’t prefer)
- Place the basil leaves and basil simple syrup in a tall glass.
- Gently press the leaves against the sides of the glass with the back of a spoon or muddler to release the flavor.
- Add crushed ice and pack tightly, pour bourbon over the ice and add a basil sprig for garnish. Easy!